Name of the tool: SDMX Istat Framework
Owner: ISTAT (Italian National Statistical Office)
Description and main purpose of the software
The SDMX Istat Framework is a set of pick-and-choose building blocks allowing a statistical office to standardize and industrialize the dissemination/reporting business process. It can be used successfully for building dissemination/reporting SDMX compliant databases and for implementing SDMX in terms of metadata management, machine-actionable dissemination and Open (Statistical)Data. It is composed by the following modules:
- Metadata Repository/Registry – based on the SDMX-RI Mapping Store, allows to handle SDMX structural metadata (Data Structure Definition; Code List; Hierarchical Code List; Concept Scheme; Dataflow; Category Scheme; Structure Set; Process; Organisation Scheme, Metadata Structure Definition, Metadata Flow)
- SDMX Web Service – based on the SDMX-RI Web Service Provider, allows to query and submit structural metadata. Furthermore data can be extract in different formats: SDMX, RDF, Google/DSPL, CSV, JSON.
- Metadata Web GUI – provides a graphical user interface for browsing, download, create and submit structural metadata. It can be used as a “switch” towards different SDMX Web Services based on the SDMX-RI. In this context a user can browse metadata stored in distributed repositories. The application allows to handle the order in the Code Lists and to add further items in already final Code Lists.
- SDMX Builder & Loader – allows to create a dissemination/reporting SDMX compliant database. The database schema is created through DSDs and related artifacts. CSV and SDMX data files can be loaded into the database using a Web GUI.
- Data Web Browser – interacts with SDMX-RI web services allowing data-users to browse, present and visualize datasets. it can be used within a single Organization in order to disseminate datasets stored into one or more databases, or in the context of a “multi-source” project (Hub architecture), where more Organizations expose their databases through SDMX Web Services based on the SDMX-RI. A data user” can: switch between the available dashboards; switch between different distributed databases (web services); browse one or more tree-themes and select the dataset of interest ( the same leaf-tree, can categorize datasets coming from different databases); set filter for each dataset; specify the layout of the table; calculate cyclical and trend variation; create graphs; store queries (only for authenticated users) that can be used in other working sessions.
License: Open source
Input format(s): CSV, SDMX 2.0, SDMX 2.1
Output format(s): SDMX 2.0, SDMX 2.1, RDF, Google/DSPL, CSV, JSON
Programming language(s): C#
Operating system(s): Windows Seven or sup, Windows Server 2008 or sup.
It extends the Eurostat SDMX-RI functionalities, allowing to handle the whole dissemination process in a “metadata and SDMX driven” manner: creation of a new SDMX compliant dissemination database and/or mapping of an already existing database, metadata management, data modelling, data browsing and visualization.
The SDMX Istat Framework is an open project published on GitHub, and contributions from programmers are welcome.